“Rustic” or “suburban” Temple
The temple is located on the western side of Capo S. Marco, in an isolated location outside the city center, standing over the open sea. It was identified and excavated by F. Barreca in 1958.
It is a building consisting of two side by side and interconnected rectangular rooms, the largest of which, to the south-east, is divided into two parts by four columns and two corner pillars, preserved only in subfloors. Near the back wall of this room, a sandstone basement was found together with a pyramid-shaped stone which was interpreted as betil of the goddess Tanit. In the smaller room, however, was revealed a counter built with dry-stone walls, in front of which a circular raised part of about 10 cm was noticed in the floor.
Initially the monument was dated to the archaic period, but most recently has been attributed to the late-Punic period.